June 8, 2009

Here I am...


After 4903 miles of driving...

After driving through pristine, and not-so-pristine Canadian wilderness (the "up-back", if you will) with awe-inspiring sunsets along Lake Huron...

After revisiting the boringly familiar tundra of northern Minnesota, North Dakota, and then South Dakota...


After sitting through my brother's graduation ceremony in Fort Collins, where the sound and lighting of the basketball arena was not quite worthy of the praise given to the technical director of the college responsible for said sound and lighting...


After the sun set over the Rockies, on my way out of town on I76, I wouldn't see another cloud for the rest of the trip...

After mindlessly driving through the farms of Nebraksa, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio...

...I find myself stealthily flying along I88 under the radar coverage of my own Area A. I had gone to the aforementioned airnav.com in the past and found Sidney, NY to be, or to appear from the picture on the internet as, what I could only best describe at the time as "The Shire."

Well, lo and behold, here in the quaint valley of the not-yet-tainted Susquehanna River, I have found "The Shire" to be as eloquently mystical as I'd imagined.

The dramatically lush hills frame a rusty steel-girdered train trestle. Short, red silos dot the landscape. There, to the left of the interstate is the one, the only, N23. Sidney Airport.

As I continue ahead, exiting at the next town finds me northbound, past the Soccer Hall of Fame, around a corner, and turning right onto the one lane road pictured at the front of this post. Airport Rd, the sign subtly assured. Its up here somewhere.

Till next time...

DM

2 comments:

Matt said...

I love the Ithaca/Oneonta area of upstate New York.

Looks like you had quite the trip. Maybe we'll get to work adjacent to each other one day - chance I might be at ZNY's area C when I get back to NY.

Unknown said...

I'm from JHW originally, so any views of upstate NY always get my nostalgia flowing. Thanks.

LRod
ZJX, ORD, ZAU Retired